Monday, 16 April 2007

Hello world!

(I have been told by a multi-blogger fanatic that 'hello world' is the greeting with which to enter the blogosphere. She would consider me truly 'birthed' as a blogger now)

But why a blog?

(it feels a little arrogant that I post one - let me help me justify it to myself...)

Curiosity - everybody else is getting one, maybe I should...
Empirical research - so what is it REALLY like to give up the fast-paced London life and years of world travel to set up home in...Taihape? Here I am - finding out!
'Professional development' - I have decided to teach a class this term that involves the students creating their own blog to detail their learning. I thought I had better learn how to do it myself first...
Bulk emails are SOOOOO 2005 (or so I have been told)
Humour - life in Taihape is quite amusing. Share the joy.

People ask me all the time - but what do you DO in Taihape?! Read on...

nb: If somehow you have ended up at this page and don't know what 'Taihape' is: A small town (popn 1800) in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand. Famous for gumboots. Not a tourist destination. Not enjoying the property boom. But very friendly. And soon-to-be-opened brand new public toilets made out of the iconic kiwi corrugated iron. Well worth the stop-off en-route to elsewhere. And fantastic dusk skies. Some lovely historic buildings. And the home of 'New Zealand's Finest Country Cinema' - more on this later.